Frequently Asked Questions

On this page you will find the frequently asked questions about tax free shopping. If you cannot find your question among them, please contact us.

I am a traveller

When am I entitled for tax free shopping?

When you reside outside of the EU and make a purchase within the EU, in most cases you are entitled to reclaim the VAT on your purchase. The purchase must be for personal use and must be exported outside of the EU within three months of the month of purchase. A VAT refund requires a minimum purchase of €50.- (€25.- in Germany). When leaving the EU (or arriving in your home country), you must ask for a Customs stamp as evidence that you have exported the purchased goods. Without this Customs stamp a VAT refund is not possible.

The VAT refund also applies to people who change their country of residence from EU to non-EU within the end of the third month after having made their purchase. Please contact the Belastingdienst (the Dutch Tax Agency) for more information.

I made a purchase in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany but I leave the EU from a different country. Is this a problem?

No, this is no problem. Whether you leave the EU by train, airplane, car or boat: whereever you leave the EU you can get a Customs stamp on the Easy Tax Free voucher at Customs. If you have not been able to get a Customs stamp leaving the EU, you can always get a Customs stamp at your home country, as evidence of import, by indicating that you have left the EU and exported the purchased goods.

Can I receive a refund if a shop does not use Easy Tax Free yet?

Do you want to use our service, but does the store not use Easy Tax Free yet? Please contact us! We will then contact the store on your behalf to see if we can get your request processed.

Please note stores are not obligated to make use of tax free services.

What is the minimum purchase amount for VAT refund?

You are entitled to a VAT refund on your purchases of a minimum of € 50.- in the Netherlands and Belgium. In Germany this amount in €25.-.  

These minimim purchase amount counts for purchases made on the same day in the same store.


How long is my Easy Tax Free voucher valid?

You have to get the Customs stamp within three months after the month in which you have made your purchase. Easy Tax Free can process all vouchers that have been sent to us within 2 years after getting the stamp.

I forgot to get a Customs stamp, what should I do?

In a rush or did you forget to get a stamp while leaving the EU? Please get a Customs stamp in your country of residence as proof of import. Send your documents to Easy Tax Free using the provided envelope or send a picture by e-mail or WhatsApp.

Without a Customs stamp we will not be able to process your request.

I would like to receive the refund on my credit card. Should this be the same credit card I used to make the purchase?

No, you can choose any Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card you would like us to transfer the refund to. Receiving the refund on your European SEPA IBAN is also possible.

Can I receive my refund in cash?

When leaving the EU through Schiphol Airport, you can receive the refund in cash at one of the GWK Travelex desks after having received the Customs stamp. You can find the GWK Travelex desks at Schiphol Plaza, Airside, the F-pier and G-pier.

In a rush? You can also receive the refund on your credit card or European SEPA IBAN. Please send us receipt with the Customs stamp and the Tax Free voucher using the provided envelope. You don’t need a postal stamp to send us your documents.

Whereto can I send my Easy Tax Free form?

When the Easy Tax Free voucher is filled out completely and the receipt is stamped by Customs, you can send us the form using the provided envelope. Alternatively, if you have not received this envelope, please send the documents to the following address (no postal stamp required).

Easy Tax Free
Int. Antwoordnummer
C.C.R.I. Numero 47003
1070 VB Amsterdam
The Netherlands

When will I receive my VAT refund?

After we have received the Easy Tax Free voucher and stamped receipt it will take approximately 30 days until you will receive the refund on your credit card or European SEPA IBAN . When you leave the EU at Schiphol Airport, you can also choose to claim your refund in cash.

How is the refund amount calculated?

The refund amount is calculated by deducting administration fee from the total VAT on your purchases. When claiming the refund in cash, the refund partner (GWK Travelex) might charge an additional fee

Do you want to know what your refund will be? Use our Easy Tax Free calculator.


Are you a retailer?
Take a look at our frequently asked questions for retailers!

  • Committed & connected

    At Easy Tax Free we think personal and involved collaboration is the key to success. Together we make tax free shopping Easy.

  • Free of charge and without obligations

    For retailers a partnership with Easy Tax Free is free of charge and non-binding. A perfect way to try our service!

  • More happy customers

    Easy Tax Free helps you making excellent service even better. This way satisfied shoppers will keep returning to your store.